Additional ways to store the cache

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM
So currently we are saving the cache as json to the disk, but what I want to give the user additional methods to store the cache.
I can imagine that for example on servers storing the result in a database would be more appropriate, don't you think.

What are your ideas on the topic? how should we solve it?
Developer
Feb 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM
My vote goes to SQL Server Compact edition, because its database resides in a controlled environment (as opposed to a system's special AppData/Temp folder, whatever that folder's path may be). But I'm okay with simply saving the cache as plain text files as long as it's optional. It's convenient for testing the library, but as a serious end-user, I'd probably want to ignore that option and store the API data in whatever database I was already using.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2014 at 11:26 AM
My idea was to implement an adapter where the user can select which technology he wants to use. I think this should be possible. We definitely should give the user the ability to connect to his own database.

I think the new Entity Framework 6.0 has the ability but I'd have to read that up.
Developer
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM
I don't know how that would work without knowing what the table definitions are? As far as I'm aware, EF can only generate entities from an existing database schema, or generate a new database schema from existing entities. I don't think that EF supports mapping existing entities to a database schema other than the one that was used to generate the entities. That would be neat though.