API Maintenance

Developer
Feb 13, 2015 at 7:57 PM
More APIs in the /v2 namespace have been enabled. This means that it's time to resume work.

See: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/community/api/API-Maintenance-2-13/first#post4793642

Due to my new job, I have limited time to work on any of my personal projects. I probably won't be able to update the code within a reasonable time frame. If anyone is interested in picking up where I left off, let me know. I can answer questions over CodePlex forums, e-mail, Skype or Hangouts.
Developer
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM
I might be interested in helping out with this, although I can't guarantee how much time I can put into it. My priority right now with my personal projects is to finish up v3.0 of my gw2 tool, but after that we'll see.
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2015 at 9:40 PM
I'll look into doing some more work on this. I have exams in the next two weeks but after that I could do something.

Shurne You got an invite
Developer
Feb 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM
Awesome. I'll try to put in time when I can, and I promise I'll do my best not to muck up what you guys have done so far. Thanks!
Developer
Feb 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Side note: I just started playing with Appveyor for automated builds and deployment, and it's AMAZING.
http://www.appveyor.com/

Too bad it only supports Git. No TFS build service, unfortunately.

We might still be able to use it if we can somehow set up a git repository that mirrors the TFS repository, which is what Microsoft has been doing for ASP.NET on GitHub. I don't know how to do that though.
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2015 at 1:04 AM
I was thinking on moving either to visualstudio.com or Git. I still have to think about it though
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:14 PM
I went ahead and added support for v2/builds and v2/colors and uploaded it to the repository. I have to say: This was awesome. The work you have done Steven is awesome. Adding those two endpoints just did take about two hours (and this was mostly because we have so many operation we can do) and everything is working like a charm. Implementing this was easy as pie and id made a hell of a fun.

I'll see if I have enough time to implement the rest the next days or the week after the next one.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Shouldn't we mark the V1 items as obsolete (with a warning, not an error). All V1 endpoints are available as V2 and are probably going to get disabled soon.
Developer
Mar 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM
I like to think of v1 as a fallback method. If v2 is unavailable or not working, then the same code might try to get items from v1 instead.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2015 at 12:48 PM
If I understand the ANet developers correctly the V1 and V2 endpoints are fuelled by the same backend, so if the V2 fails V1 would most likely too. I can't think of a scenario where the api would be offline for a longer period of time. Chaching for a day should be within the users capability.

I really don't see a strong reason for keeping the V1 code.